Not only is it the anniversary of Guy Fawkes Night, but for all the crazy folks doing Nanowrimo "Remember Remember the 5th of November" is easily ended with "because you should have 8,335 words."
For those of you who don't know, NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month where people across the world (who are usually slightly insane) set a goal of writing 50,000 words worth of a first draft novel all during the month of November. That amounts to 1,667 words each day. I am one of those insane individuals, and with a word count of only 2,300, I am somewhat behind.
This is my fifth year doing nanowrimo, and it's always a crazy time of year. I've only won 2 out of 4 attempts, but getting to meet new friends online and at writing events is always a highlight. Birmingham has a flourishing writing community with groups that frequently meet at the Homewood library, and a dedicated group that takes over a local coffee house each weekend of November.
Despite being slightly sleep deprived and kind of eccentric by the end of the month, I think nanowrimo is definitely worth it. At the end of the month, you have 50,000 words of a would be novel that's barely finished and pretty awful since it's only a first draft, but that accomplishment is a first step to telling a story that only you can tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment