While walking to lunch today, I was met with 1100 backpacks laid out across the green as part of the Send Silence Packing initiative. This display travels to campuses all over the country and lays out backpacks and bags that have biographies and letters attached to them that represent the estimated number of college students who take their lives each year.
It was chilling to see such a tangible display of suicide, and reading the bios was very touching. I've known many people who self harm and a few who have turned to suicide, so it was touching to see that this whole project has been created to raise awareness and to make it a less taboo topic for those who need help. As one of the signs posted said, "Seeking Help Shows Strength." If that message reached at least one person who was hurting today, then I think it was successful.

No comments:
Post a Comment